Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Back From My Break


Five days ago I ended my 3-week long social media break, right on schedule.

It was wonderful, to say the least. Along with the break from social media, my husband and I had chosen to not do any unnecessary spending for the entire month of January, and I had also cut my coffee intake down to one cup a day (though I cheated on occasion with that one).

Needless to say, all of those ingredients made for awesome nights of deep sleep and awesome days that were far more focused, and thus, better spent.

When I first left social media, I posted the following status on my Facebook, Instagram and Twitter accounts:


When I returned, I was greeted by the following...



Not only did the kind words typed make my day (words of affirmation is my top love language, after all), but it was also incredibly humbling. The responses said to me that even when I doubted myself prior to the break, I had still been accomplishing what the Lord had led me to do with social media months ago, and that was to be encouraging...be positive...be a light.

I stepped back from social media for three reasons: I was simply spending way too much time on it and needed some peace and quiet; I was feeling guilty over a few status updates, comments and links shared in recent weeks; and because I wanted to reevaluate how and why I used social media at all.

Not to make me sound like a flawless user of social media (because I am most definitely not), but if I'm being totally honest, one of the things that I took from the past three weeks was that I was being way too hard on myself. I had been doing just what God had led me to do online, and though I've absolutely "fleshed out" (that's Christianese for "not doing what Jesus would do") in the recent past, the reality was, and still is, that I really am positive on Facebook, and it wasn't just these people's comments that showed me that.

I'm not saying this to be arrogant or "holier than thou" or anything, but...it's the truth. I am positive on Facebook, I am nice online, I am drama-free and I am a light.

Have I always been? No.

Have I been since the Lord specifically led me to be those things online several months ago? Absolutely not.

Will I be from now on? Actually...

Yes.

I don't know why I wouldn't, to be completely honest. Not that I'm perfect, by any means - I know that better than anyone else. But for me, the whole purpose of this social media break was to pinpoint my problem areas in social media so that I could work on them, recognize incorrect motives and methods, and do something about it so that those things won't be problem areas anymore.

The purpose of my social media break was not just to rest from online noise. It was to look inward and make necessary adjustments, so that I could better focus my attention where it should be focused: outward. Not just online, but in every area of my life. What a waste it would have been if I took this break, focused in on specific scriptures, recognized what I needed to change, repented, and sought and received answers from God...only to not endeavor to actually put into practice what I had learned.

Again, that's not to say I won't ever make another mistake in some way, shape or form for the rest of my known online life...but the reality is, I don't have to if I don't want to.

For one thing, I'm in control. I'm in control of my choices, my actions, my words, my thoughts, and even my feelings and emotions. I'm in control of whether or not I voice my own personal opinion in a "knowledge puffs up" kind of way, or if I speak God's Truth in a "love builds up" kind of way. It's my choice whether or not I respond to something, it's my choice whether or not I comment, and it's my choice whether or not I share something. There are some things in life that I simply cannot control, but everything I do on social media is always my choice.

For another thing (and this goes hand-in-hand with self-control), my goal in life is to please my Father. I know my Father, and because I know Him, I very well know the difference between what does and does not please Him.

So...having said all of that...I still plan on using social media for as long as social media exists. I still plan on sharing random anecdotes, pictures and updates from my personal life. I still plan on sharing [some] articles and videos that I find interesting. When I have children, I'll probably annoy you with pictures of them throughout your day and I probably won't care, because my kids will be ridiculously cute. I also plan on continuing to use Facebook as a way to share and show the beautiful love, absolute truth and redeeming power of an Almighty God at work in the life of an imperfect girl like me.

P.S. - When you ask for prayer on Facebook, and I tell you I'm praying for you, I mean it. However, I'll never accept your invitation to play FarmVille (is that still a thing?) or Candy Crush, I don't really care whether or not the cute puppy or sick child can get a million likes, and I probably won't ever send you a Facebook gift...though, I really do mean it when I tell you happy birthday.

2 comments:

  1. I enjoy your transparency! Your love for the Lord is so evident - thanks for letting the light of Christ shine through!

    ReplyDelete