Monday, December 30, 2013

Moving Forward in Social Media

I originally wrote this for another blog I was working on, but have decided to put said blog on hold for the time being. I still liked the post though, and decided to share it here! Enjoy...

I once heard someone say that nobody can escape or outrun their past anymore due to social media, and really, the internet in general, and I suppose that's ultimately true.

The Huffington Post posted this article back in October, and people have been warning us younglings to be careful what we post for as long as I can remember having an account. I even hear tell that no matter what you post - pictures, text, etc. - it will always exist somewhere in the World Wide Web, even if you delete it, and I believe it.

I've been using social media for quite some time. I remember when MySpace was more popular than Facebook. I also remember being among the first generation of Facebook users, starting my account in 2006 when you couldn't use it unless you had a college email. I also got Twitter in 2006 and remember when barely any of my friends had one. Goodness, I've even been texting since 2005 when I got my very first T-9 flip phone!

And don't even get me started on emails and various accounts and blogging and all the rest. I've been starting and stopping blogs since I don't even know when. I've literally littered the blogosphere. The whole internet, really.

And I'll be honest: I'm not the most innocent poster, either. I've done it all, from being a hypocrite to bashing politics, to being argumentative and controversial, to being too serious, to being mean and negative. I've been immature and posted obnoxiously opinionated opinions that I don't even hold anymore, on either side of the fence. I've lied, manipulated, over-shared, flip-flopped around based on whatever phase of life I was in, and heck...I've even sexted before.

But I've also been encouraging. And kind. And funny. And joyful. And honest. And helpful. And worshipful. And challenging, and I've been challenged too.

Simply put, I've grown up a little bit.

I've grown up in my walk with God and in my Christian worldview, in my use of technology, my motivations and my age. And while age isn't necessarily considered an indicator of maturity anymore, I still think growing up holds some weight, and I still believe that people are allowed to change...at least in my book they are.

And in His.

I don’t mean to say that I have already achieved these things or that I have already reached perfection. But I press on to possess that perfection for which Christ Jesus first possessed me. No, dear brothers and sisters, I have not achieved it, but I focus on this one thing: Forgetting the past and looking forward to what lies ahead, I press on to reach the end of the race and receive the heavenly prize for which God, through Christ Jesus, is calling us. 
(Philippians 3:12-14, NLT)

So yes, be careful with what you post because it is there forever. But remember that in the grand scheme of all of creation and existence and eternity, what you posted on Facebook at 19 years old is not an indicator of who you are now or how God sees you.

Remember that in Christ, old things have passed away and all things are made new. If you are yielded to Him, God will make a way for you where there is no way. Repent for past social media failures, and make necessary changes where you need to make them. If you slip up and make another posting blunder, delete it and apologize. Acknowledge your mistakes, but keep moving forward. Keep going. Don't let your past - in any capacity, social media or otherwise - dictate your future for one more moment.

Life is short, and there's a purpose for yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment