Friday, April 10, 2015

Peace out, Social Media!

If you're reading this, you probably clicked on the link I posted on my Facebook timeline or Instagram feed. And if you're reading this, please know that I won't be sharing anymore links on either for quite some time. Why?

Because I'm giving up social media.

For good.

Like, I'm going to delete all of my accounts by the end of today. 

Facebook. Instagram. Twitter. Pinterest. Gone. Gone forever.

(OK, maybe not forever, but for the foreseeable future at least.)

I'm aware that some of you are probably thinking I should just limit myself. Practice self-control, self-discipline, and all that jazz. Normally, I'd agree with you on that 100%...but there's an asterisk. 

I'm all about self-control and things in moderation, but I'm more about not causing people to stumble. Jesus has some strong words to say about causing people to stumble in Matthew, Mark, and Luke; Paul talks about this in both Romans and 1 Corinthians; and this concept is mentioned in numerous other verses throughout the Bible, in both the Old and New Testaments. 

Causing others to stumble is a big deal. Huge, in fact. This is why there are just certain things that, even though I'm not necessarily against, I simply don't associate myself with or allow in my life or home. Not because they're wrong or evil, but simply because I don't want to ever be a stumbling block to anyone, anywhere, anytime. 

And for me personally, social media has reached that point.

Now, you may be thinking, "But Brittany, how is your using social media causing others to stumble?" or, "What does not wanting to cause people to stumble have to do with you getting rid of social media?"

Well, to answer the first question: I might cause - or at least, may have caused - people to stumble using social media. Granted, I endeavor to be positive and encouraging with my posts, and I feel I succeed at that endeavor. However, I also admit that I've not always had the best motives in some of my posting and therein lies not only the causing of others to stumble, but more importantly, the answer to the second question...

While I don't want to cause anyone else to stumble, I just as much don't want to stumble myself. I'm not referring to blatant or lascivious sin here, but rather the "easier-to-hide" sins: judgment, cynicism, frustration, anger, covetousness, jealousy, pride, feelings of superiority, lack of mercy or compassion, distractions, laziness, selfishness, listening to voices other than that of my Shepherd's, and so forth. I've been taking some serious self-inventory lately, and while these things aren't who I am or want to be, I feel I've allowed myself to let them into my life through way of social media.

And so I apologize; apologize to God, to people, and to myself. for letting myself become what I know I am not in my personal use of social media. 

This isn't to say I've abused or misused social media. I know I haven't anymore than anyone else. I know that we've all made social media blunders, just as we've all made blunders in real life. So I'm not beating myself or anyone else up over this by any means. I know that social media isn't a big deal for some people, and that's awesome - keep posting!

It's just that I feel it's time for me personally to take the approach that Jesus speaks of in Matthew 18: "If your eye causes you to stumble, gouge it out and throw it away."

This wasn't an easy decision for me to make. I've thought of it off and on for over a year, and have been seriously considering it for almost two months now. Recently, I even wrote out a list of pros and cons; reasons to keep it and reasons to get rid of it; how to use it if I keep it, and what I'm going to do if I delete it. 

I think what finally convinced me - what was the icing on the cake in making my decision - was a quote that was shared yesterday in the ladies' Bible study I attend. Former NBA player Charles Barkley recently said that the reason he avoids social media is because "the internet is where fools go to feel important." Yesterday morning I was looking for an answer to my social media question, and that was it.

To keep or to delete? In the end, the latter option won.

I love social media, I really do - because I love socializing and I love people and communication. I know there's so much good that can come from social media, and I support it 100%. And maybe I'll return to it one day; I'm definitely not opposed. 

But I have such a solid peace about leaving; I know it's what I need to do for the time being. I think I knew it's what I needed to do quite some time ago, but I was afraid...afraid because sadly, so much of my identity is wrapped up in my social media presence, instead of fully in Christ where it should be. 

So, for now at least, I'm done.

I'll continue to write blog posts here, and I'm going to start giving more family updates here with pictures and whatnot. After all, it is OUR On-Purpose Life. Feel free to follow this blog if you're interested, and from time to time, I'm sure my husband will post links to here on his social media accounts. 

But as I've said, I'm signing off indefinitely. If I ever come back, I'll let you know. In fact, I'll probably just send you a friend request. 

No comments:

Post a Comment