Friday, November 22, 2013

Slow Down This Season

Today has been the coldest day since the beginning of fall, at least to me. But I've loved it. It reminds me of my Ida-home! And it's just nostalgic in general. This - the holiday season - is my favorite time of the year, and it's a shame it seems to go by so fast each time it comes around.

I got out of class early today, and there was about 20 minutes to spare until the next one started. I started making my way towards the other building. Unbeknownst to me at the time, however, was the fact that I was the only one heading to class so early. When I walked outside, I was immediately hit with the cold air and the fresh smell of fall. I looked around at the gorgeous colors against the gray sky as I approached the door to the next building, when I suddenly noticed how quiet it was. I then realized that no one was in sight - not outside, and not in the buildings on either side of me or in the cars parked close by.

It was silent.

All I could hear was the light wind and dry leaves scratching the ground and each other. I thought about heading inside, but then I decided against it. It was too beautiful...it was too peaceful...it was all God.

He is so romantic, like that. He knows just what sounds and smells enamor and woo me. Autumn and winter scapes, the ocean, summer storms...my heart just melts, and He and I both know I am His and no one else's. No one else can speak this love language to me but Him, because it's one only He can speak.

I took a few pictures (which I'm glad I took because the colors are just amazing), but I wish I would have really taken in the nearly five minutes that I was completely by myself; just my Lover and me. I should have walked the path once or twice more, prayed, and sat silent in His presence.

I had just came from a preaching lab class, where we students get some practice in the pulpit. A fellow student had just spoken on how God is not disappointed in us. Before he began preaching, I already knew that God was not disappointed in me. But by the end of the sermon, I knew it and believed it. It was impactful. It was profound. It was beautiful. And it was God speaking to me.

Those few moments were for me, from Him. They were just what I needed, and I didn't even realize it until writing this. I may go back there today, to take in what I acknowledged but brisked right through earlier. I know He'll show up again. He's already there. He's already here.

I encourage you to not rush through this holiday season. Don't try to keep up with anyone, any trend, or any societal expectation. There are no Joneses to keep up with. There is only God. Love Him, know that He loves you, and love people.

Breathe...

Relax...

Be inspired...

He is here, and He loves you.

I can't tell where my shoes begin and the leaves end!

"Your Word is a lamp to my feet, and a light to my path."
Psalm 119:105

I actually took this one the other day,
but I wanted to include it here.
It's just so beautiful!
I love those little God-created moments in between the busyness of everyday life, where God just reminds you how much He loves you...What are some of your favorite moments or circumstances, that you know God created just for you? 

No comments:

Post a Comment